We provide devising workshops that are tailored to your needs. Workshops we have run in schools and for groups last for anything between 1-2 hours, and a full day's devising. This can include:
- a brief slideshow with images and films of our work - up to 15 mins
- a description of our process with a step by step case study of a particular show - lasting 15-30 mins, with Q&A session
- a devising session / workshop, that could last anything from 1 hour, to the rest of the day. This could take the form of:
- a themed devising session, of your choosing to relate to school project work. Could be started off with a piece of text or relevant news story or image
- a design focused devising session, with materials as a starting point
- an object inspired devising session, with a selection of objects that we will bring in, to use to create characters and story
- a place / space inspired devising session, using spaces around the site to create scenes or vignettes
All of the above would result in a showing to the group at the end of the session.
An outline of a recent workshop we ran looked like this:
- A tour of a site to gather information / stories
- An object inspired session where characters who might have owned the objects were created by group participants. These were then swapped among the group to then inspire the creation of other related characters.
- A story making session where stories were written / devised using these characters as a starting point
- All of this was then used to create a treasure hunt / story trail with these stories interlinked throughout the site.
UnderConstruction Theatre / Lizzy McBain has delivered education workshops and projects for:
Exeter University | Creative Partnerships | OYAP | Kheiron School of English | Acton and West London College | Brookes University Drama Department | Garsington Opera | The Prince's Foundation for Children and the Arts | Historic Royal Palaces | Fusion Arts, Oxford | Wild Works | Emanuel School, Battersea | West Kidlington Primary School | East Oxford Primary School
"Your workshop was invaluable to the students in learning about the devising process as well as how work can convey meaning within different spaces. The students enjoyed learning about the devising process and were pleased with what could be achieved in a short time. You had an excellent manner with the students and they responded very positively towards you. Thank you - we will be in touch next year!"
Bethany Lee, Emanuel School, London